The Level 2 Technical Award in Child Development and Care has been designed to meet the needs of learners from the age of 14 years. It includes the knowledge and understanding of child development and well-being necessary when preparing for working with children in a variety of settings.
It is aimed at a range of learners who wish to be introduced to childcare and development for children aged 0-5 years. It also gives learners an insight into their preferred learning styles and assists in developing their ability to study.
This qualification will enable learners to develop significant transferable knowledge and study skills that will support progression including:
- an awareness of learning styles
- a basic introduction in to working with children in a variety of settings
- an understanding of roles and responsibilities when working in a setting
- an understanding of equality and diversity within a childcare setting
- a basic understanding of the stages and sequence of child development
- an introduction to observing children and how it supports development
- an introduction to the influences that affect holistic development
- an introduction to everyday care routines and the types of activities that can support the development of independence an introduction to supporting children through transition.
This qualification provides the opportunity to gain a vocational qualification that gives a basic introduction to the sector.
This qualification consists of 3 units:
- Units 1 and 2 graded A*– D, assessed by an externally set, internally marked assessment task. Mandatory assessments for each unit will be subject to internal and external quality assurance
- Unit 3 graded A*-D, assessed by an externally set and externally marked synoptic Scenario Based Short Answer Examination (component ACDC1).
What related qualifications can you progress to?
Learners will be able to progress to further relevant level 2 programmes of study or level 3 programmes of study including those from our Early Years Educator suite. Learners may also progress to an Apprenticeship route in early years or child care at either level 2 or level 3.