At the Gainsborough Academy we believe that learning a language is important for our young people to fully take part in the modern world. People think everyone speaks English, but this is just not true. 75% of the world population have no English at all. We aim to develop keen and talented linguists and we truly believe that languages are for everyone. We offer languages provision to some of our partner primaries to ensure that students understand the importance of speaking a language early on. We have recently introduced Spanish as a second language to increase the choice that our students have. All students will study both French and Spanish with us in KS 3 to allow them to make an informed choice about which language is right for them when they choose their options. We offer wider experiences of languages too with French breakfasts, lunchtime Spanish Kareoke, visits to local French and Spanish restaurants and foreign language films at breaktime.
To encourage students to:
- Develop their awareness of the world beyond their experience and to develop positive attitudes and tolerance of other cultures.
- Understand and Speak and Write in French or Spanish to respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- Develop their confidence through speaking in French and Spanish.
- Write for different purposes and audiences, using an increasing variety of grammatical structures
- Develop a wide range of language learning skills, such as dictionary skills, group work and the ability to work independently.
- Use growth mindset principals in all that they do in languages.
- Make comparisons with their first language(s) to increase language awareness & to develop general literacy skills.
How to support your child in Languages at home:
Your child will thrive in MFL with your added support and you don’t have to be a linguist to help him/her. Here are some easy helpful ways to develop your child learning in French and Spanish :
- A positive attitude to language learning.
- Encourage your child to go on French-games.net/Spanish-games.net and Quizlet to revise vocabulary.
- KS4 classes are registered on Google classroom – learning homework is shared with students, encourage them to look at this regularly.
- Supervise their vocabulary learning – encourage the read/ write/ cover and check method with the new vocabulary.
Year 7 Languages
Term 1 – Family and Pets
Term 2 – Pastimes
Term 3 – School
Term 4- Likes and Dislikes – swap to language 2
Term 5 – My town
Term 6 – My future
Term 1 – My people
Term 2 – My house and chores
Term 3- Media – TV and films
Term 4 – Media – Books and music
Term 5 – Tourism
Term 6 – Project work – describing photos
Year 9 – GCSE
Term 1 French – Relationships Term 1 Spanish – Holidays
Term 2 French – Media and Likes Term 2 Spanish – Holidays
Term 3 French – Celebration Term 3 Spanish – School
Term 4 French – Town Term 4 Spanish – Relationships
Term 5 French – exam skills Term 5 Spanish – exam skills
Term 6 French – exam practice Term 6 Spanish – exam practice
Year 10 GCSE from September 2019
Term 1 – French – Holidays Term 1 Spanish – Media /Interests
Term 2 – French – French tourism Term 2 Spanish – Free time
Term 3 – French – exam skills and practice Term 3 Spanish – Town
Term 4 – French – School Term 4 Spanish – Celebration
Term 5 – French – Writing and speaking skills Term 5 – Spanish – Writing and speaking
Term 6 – French – Past, present and future Term 6 – Spanish – Past, present and future
Term 1 – French – future plans Term 1 – Spanish – future plans
Term 2 – French – global issues Term 2 – Spanish – global issues
Term 3 – French – global aid Term 3 – Spanish – future plans
Term 4 – French – Exam practice Term 4 – Spanish – future plans